The eligibility for ‘precaution dose’ requires the recipient to have completed nine months after the second dose. The health ministry had earlier said that Co-Win system will send reminder SMS to those eligible for availing the precaution dose.
“Reminder SMSs have been pushed to more than 1 crore beneficiaries for the precaution dose. The system is ready to welcome beneficiaries at vaccination centres on Monday,” the official said.
While online booking of appointments for precaution dose through Co-Win started from Saturday, beneficiaries can also walk in for vaccination. However, there would be no need for new registration. The government has already clarified that the ‘precaution dose’ will be of the same jab as the first and second dose. Those who got Covaxin will get Covaxin and those who got Covishield will get Covishield. While those above 60 years of age with co-morbidities have been advised to seek medical advice before receiving the third dose, they would not be required to submit any certificate for the same.
“Details of precaution dose will also reflect in the official vaccination certificate,” the official further added.
As per government’s projections, nearly three crore health and frontline workers are estimated to be eligible in January to get the booster or precaution dose of Covid vaccine.
Besides, 2.7 crore people in the 60 plus age group with co-morbidities are projected across the country. Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, West Bengal and Tamil Nadu have most people in this category. However, very few such people may actually be eligible for receiving the third dose in January after completing the nine month gap.
The government maintained that it is keeping a tab on the emerging information, science and data on mixing of vaccines and heterologous approaches.
Overall, a total of 151.9 crore doses have been administered in the country till Sunday 8 pm. This includes 63.2 crore or 67% of adults above 18 years of age who are fully vaccinated with two doses.